Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Which Outlook/Google Calendar sync is best?

Reader Catherine Adams writes me:
"I am working for a company where 50% of the people use Mac (Outlook Calendar) and the other 50% use macs. I am trying to create a common calendar that everyone can access. My initial thought was Google Calendar as this doesn't have any platform issues, however the PC users love their Outlook calendars and do not really want to have to change to a whole new calendar.

"Is there any way of syncing Google Calendar with PC Outlook, or iCal with PC Outlook.

"Basically I just want a single calendar, that everyone can edit and view but the PC users aren't going to budge from the Outlook calendars."
Here are some possibilities:
Did I miss any?

I've started the first Calendar Swamp poll to let everyone vote for their favorite Outlook-to-Google Calendar sync solution. Look in the sidebar of the Calendar Swamp blog for this poll. I'll leave this poll open until the end of June, by which time, probably there will be something new.

(This list doesn't include ways to publish or subscribe between calendars. We're talking about the ability to fully sync them -- respecting added, moved, or changed events.)

7 comments:

Helge said...

One more tool to mention: iCal4OL (http://ical.gutentag.ch/).

Lots of options to tweak the synchronisation and very regular updates in case Google changed some things.

Anonymous said...

Calgoo Connect already syncs with Outlook and will have a version for Apple iCal in a few days. Shops with both iCal and Outlook can standardize on one Gcal sync vendor.

Thanks,

Andrzej Kowalski
CEO, Calgoo Software

Unknown said...

I have been using OggSync to sync between Exchange/Outlook and Google Calendar, it has been really working great, check it out!

Scott Mace said...

I'm running 2 Macs at home (desktop and laptop, 3 if you count the iPhone) and I'm forced to use Outlook at work, and I have a Google calendar. Oh, I also have OSX leopard server. Any ideas on how to reconcile and sync all this stuff? Ultimately, I want it all on my iPhone. Thoughts? BTW, I'm a different Scott Mace (maybe related)
Scotty

Anonymous said...

What about RemoteCalendar [http://sourceforge.net/projects/remotecalendars/]?
It's not Google-Calendar-specific but supports it with a 2-way-sync setup.
So I believe it deserves a spot in the poll...

Anonymous said...

You missed gSyncit which has been around for almost two years.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the article.
By the way, I am using WinPST Share Outlook
for a long time.
Just use it to share the Outlook data with my colleagues.